- Coffee is not Italian
- It’s a tropical plant from the tropics!!
- However, our slick northern friends did contribute important milestones to coffee
- First espresso technique and machine design –
- Invention of Cappuccino
- Blending techniques for optimal coffee blend for espresso
- “Though there were surely innumerable patents and prototypes, the invention of the machine and the method that would lead to espresso is usually attributed to Angelo Moriondo of Turin, Italy, who was granted a patent in 1884 for “new steam machinery for the economic and instantaneous confection of coffee beverage.” The machine consisted of a large boiler, heated to 1.5 bars of pressure, that pushed water through a large bed of coffee grounds on demand, with a second boiler producing steam that would flash the bed of coffee and complete the brew.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-long-history-of-the-espresso-machine-126012814/#pt2R7wcTwy2meGX1.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12!
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter